Habana Deco Group
Consists of Architects, historians, collectors, academic scholars, artist, costume designers, filmmakers, writers and art deco enthusiasts. Members of our group are voluntary-no fee for membership required.
The conference will take place in Havana, Cuba March 14-21 2013 with extensions to Trinidad, Cienfuegos, Camaguey, Holguin and Santiago de Cuba. The temperature is generally in mild 70-80 degrees. The city of Havana is home to an endless treasure of art deco architecture but is also known for its friendly people and world class cultural venues. The participants will visit the neighborhoods of Old Havana, Miramar, Vedado, Playa and Cerro, but will be able to visit other architectural wonders in nearly towns of urban interest like the Lost Deco City of Lugardita, Regla, Guanabacoa and Matanzas.
– Inaugural ceremony and welcome cocktail.
– Visit the landmarks of the City of Havana.
– Art Deco Lecture series-magistrate specialized related Conferences.
– Tour through Havana to learn about urban and architectural development.
– Visit Deco Projects in Havana – Bacardi Building, Teatro America, Teatro Fausto, Capital building etc.
– Art Deco exhibit at the Museum of Decorative Art and Hemingway Museum.
– Visit to the Museum of Modern Art-focusing on the Cuban master of the early 20th Century. Wilfredo Lam, Amelia Pelaez and Victor Manuel etc.
– Experience Cuban Culture through dance, music, theater and film of the deco period.
– Provide specialist, architects, professors, researchers and restores dedicated to the study, preservation and popularization of Art Deco in Cuba and other countries. Offering a forum for discussion and interaction and ample compilation of possible scenarios and solutions: proposals for restoration and collaboration for the conservation of Cuban Art Deco Heritage.
– Art Deco in Cuban history, it projects and need for conservation.
– Diversity of the Cuban Deco Design
– Cemetery Colon- Deco Tombs and Chapels
– Deco Graphics- Publications Vanidades, Bohemia, Carteles- Movie Poster, etc.
*The conference, tours and lectures will offer translation in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish.
What organizations may participate at the 2013 Congress?
International Coalition of Art Deco Societies
National Union of Architects and Engineers of the Cuban Construction
Superior School of the Arts
Superior School of Design
Office of the Historian
The National Union of Writers and Artist of Cuba
Art Deco Societies
Where will the ICADS members stay?
The National Hotel will serve has the official headquarters for the World Congress. The hotel is a four star accommodations and offers all the amenities imaginable. The hotel has a ballroom and conference room that can hold up to 1000 guest. We will offer alternative lodging for those seeking more affordable accommodations.
Member of ICADS will have a choice of the following hotels.
National Hotel -4 star the world famous Art Deco landmark
Seville Hotel -4 star Spanish Moorish hotel with rich deco history
Saratoga Hotel-5 star hotel in Old Havana
President Hotel -3 star near Casa de las Americas-lecture hall
Welcome cocktail- Hotel National
Reception – America Theater
Reception– Bacardi Building
Hershey Train Ride to Mantazas
Lunch Dupont Estate
Lunch – National Museum of Decorative Arts- Mena Estate
Lunch-National Museum of Fine Arts
Lunch– Seville Hotel Rooftop
Dinner Capiltal Building
Black and White Night
National Ballet of Cuba
Dinner at Club Habana
Closing Night- Hotel National